Becoming a local authority is a worthwhile long term marketing idea for B2B businesses, especially in the ads and marketing space. For other industries, you can get creative with it and come up with a way to aggregate info, listings and resources for your customers that take an interest in that niche.
Starting locally limits the scope to be achievable enough to test, while providing value and relevancy to a well-defined target market. It’s a similar idea to niche publications and associations because it gives you credibility, relevancy and a unique selling proposition.
You can also use it as a way to build a mailing list that your clients would want to be involved with. The content you produce can also be recycled into social posts for your business’ accounts.
From there you can provide clients something of value as an exclusive add-on to working with you. It could be a free listing for a lawyer or an email ad for a car dealership.. You get the idea.
- Written or video interviews with people your clients want to hear from
- Business listings for the top companies in the niche
- Event listings for upcoming trade shows, meetups, etc.
- A listing of helpful or influential people in the niche
- Industry news locally or for a wider scope
- Ease: Tough
- Cost: $1000+
- Scope: Medium
- Speed: Normal
- Reach: City